“If the stakes are high, the result of the pool could create disharmony in the workplace, and the problems could escalate,” says employment law expert B. The law is an important first step in deciding what we should do and why we should do it. In other words, in some states, office pools are illegal. The same goes for talking politics at work , having sex, drinking single malt whisky, surfing the Web for bargains, or yakking with friends on our smartphones.
Because pool participants risk violating the law, the rules they have agreed to when they accepted their jobs, or both, the games are of questionable value. For all of the problems in the legal system, it is hard to imagine that a civilized society could survive for long without laws and the serious consequences of failing to honor them.
Arguments about ethics are not entirely dependent on what the law, public policy, and corporate rules and regulations happen to be. David Joffe of the law firm Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP.
My argument that it is wrong to participate in office pools is not based on the ethics of gambling as such. But it’s ethically intelligent to draw the line between fun that’s appropriate in the workplace and good times that are better had elsewhere. If you’re on the job, it’s just as questionable to spend 45 minutes debating the Cartesian mind-body distinction as it is to play your favorite game app for that long. After all, Kenneth Lay and Jeffrey Skilling of Enron thought it was perfectly fine to play with employee pension funds as if they were Monopoly money, but no one today is saying that their leadership roles made what they did O.K. Whether either activity is your cup of tea is up to you; what isn’t up for grabs is the propriety of doing either at work for a significant amount of time.
But before you conclude that office pools have few legal consequences, consider this: Some employees, including those at the management level, have been fired (and in at least one case, arrested) for participating in these games, on the grounds the practice was either illegal or in violation of company policy.
But what about the folks who just place their bets and get back to work–what’s the problem there? Let’s look at some frequently marshaled defenses of office pools and why these claims are mistaken.
Order my books Ethical Intelligence and Is It Still Cheating If I Don’t Get Caught? from your favorite independent bookseller or here.
Book me to speak at your next event here.
. An action can be legal but wrong, or it can be illegal but ethically required. Most people lose. Before doing so, I must emphasize that I am not an attorney, and nothing in this blog should be considered legal advice. But they can violate corporate policies and the law.
March Madness office pools involving cash are common, exciting, and potentially lucrative. “The CEO allows or encourages it.” This is, quite frankly, a cop-out. In the right social setting, gambling is a fun way to spend some time and, one hopes, not too much money (provided one does not have an addiction to gambling). Some stakeholders may have religious objections to it. One would like to believe that laws, regulations, and policies are always based on what is right, but we know that too often they are shaped by special interests, outdated beliefs, or pure and simple prejudice. A few win.
If even a small percentage of customers, board members, and shareholders is likely to be troubled by the practice of on-site betting, that alone is sufficient cause for concern. Based on my research, however, I’ve discovered the legality of office pools in which employees bet cash on professional or college sports teams varies from state to state. For any law or policy, we can and should ask: “Is it right? Is it fair? Is it just?”
When examining the propriety of office pools, it is thus important to look at the relevant law. Yes, roulette has terrible odds, but I like the quiet atmosphere and the fact that there is absolutely no skill involved.
This is not a call to civil disobedience, however. “Office pools build morale and camaraderie.” Next to the thrill of winning, this is the most popular justification for office pools. Betting money on sports (or the Oscars, or anything else) falls in the latter category. A third group may simply view gambling on the job as unseemly. It’s called a workplace for a reason: It’s the place where we’re supposed to work. “Companies are fighting like mad to bring people together, and office pools are a great way to stimulate watercooler conversations,” said John Challenger, chief executive of Challenger Gray & Christmas, to The Business Review in Albany, N.Y., in 2002. Some of the best moments in our lives occur at work with close colleagues. “It’s harmless fun.” At the beginning of March Madness, you kick in a few dollars, then follow your team over the coming weeks and months. It’s quite another to have a shouting match about something that has nothing to do with one’s job.
The office, however, simply isn’t an appropriate place for gambling. It’s one thing to have a heated discussion about a project on which you and a colleague are working. But there are lots of stimulating things to talk about that just don’t belong at work.
Watch an excerpt from my keynote speech on ethical intelligence here.
The issue isn’t whether a particular activity is high- or lowbrow. For example, we are legally required to file a federal tax return each year, so anyone who wishes to be a citizen in good standing (or at least not to become a member of the prison population) wisely chooses to pay his or her taxes. Yes, it is true that these laws are rarely enforced, and yes, it makes sense for police to investigate homicides, bank robberies, sexual assaults, and other serious crimes before they pursue rumors that employees in the local coffee shop are betting on the Louisville Cardinals over the Kansas Jayhawks.
1. Others might be concerned that employees will not give their full attention to their work. But this isn’t the main reason we shouldn’t place bets at work.
The High Cost of Low Living
2. The fact that the head of an organization sanctions a practice says little or nothing about whether the practice is justifiable or not. What’s the harm in that? Even if there happens to be no legal or policy issues at stake, the harm has to do with how stakeholders would view the business if on-the-job gambling activities were revealed. Even where they are legal and not in violation of company protocol, however, they’re ethically unintelligent, and we shouldn’t participate in them.
3. Whatever the objections are, they deserve to be taken seriously.
Bottom line: The workplace shouldn’t be a joyless Orwellian nightmare. When David Frost asked former President Richard Nixon in 1977 if it is acceptable for a President to do something illegal, Nixon replied, “Well, when the President does it, that means that it is not illegal.” Nixon was mistaken, and so is any corporate leader who believes that “if I say it’s all right, then it must be all right.”
A slightly different version of this article was published originally on Bloomberg Businessweek Online.
Besides, winning a sporting event is extremely important to some of us, and arguments about sports can out of hand. Things that interfere with doing our jobs well should be done before or after work. When I’m in Las Vegas — to give talks on, of all things, ethics — I usually make time for the roulette tables
With other investments, I will definitely pay attention to what’s going on in pop culture a lot … So, being a young investor, actually, has huge advantages and nobody even knows about that because pop culture and, you know, all the things that influences certain companies to do very well, is right at your fingertips.”
When Rachel Fox is not appearing on TV and in movies, the 19-year-old is keeping busy as a stock day trader at her computer — a skill that’s earned her a spot on Seventeen magazine’s Power Teens list.
Fox writes about all that she’s learned on her blog, “Fox on Stocks,” with the hope of helping others improve their financial literacy.
So Fox began trading with her own money that she made from acting. In her very first year of day-trading, Fox’s returns beat the S&P 500.. I had this understanding and know-how. “Just let the enthusiasm take you ’cause that’s what I did and I was like …
“When I was 16 I was like, I understand a lot about, you know, companies,” the “Desperate Housewives” actress told “Good Morning America” co-anchor Amy Robach. “… how they IPO on the stock exchange. you can often take that information and kind of, arbitrage it before Wall Street [knows about it]. If you’re curious about something, just let that drive you and just go with it,” Fox said. ‘There’s no females in this industry or this world, but I’m gonna do it anyway.'”
“I have a couple different strategies,” she said. I had the skill of managing money….”
For example, an offshore roustabout position may specify 2 years of relevant experience. If you can show HR that you’ve already cleared all the red tape needed to hire you, they are more likely to put your resume in the “Call For Interview” pile.
Forget the perfect cover letter. When you go through regular channels, you won’t beat rivals who have relevant real job experience. What turns on a particular HR officer will just bore a different officer.
Nothing beats qualified practical on-the-job experience, but if you don’t even have any relevant training then your chances are practically nil. Keep it clear, short and simple, and direct HR to your resume for more details.
3. Do you also have some experience or training in electrical work? Can you offer a two-in-one deal to HR? If the company hires you to be a mechanic, can you sometimes help out the oil rig electrician?
2. Do you have a “6 GR” certification from CITB (UK) or certification from AWS (US)? Can you provide examples of welding particularly tricky joints that can be found on an oil platform?
An example of showing more depth is having more years of experience than everyone else. On the other hand, every chance you grab to put Lady Luck on your side is a step closer to getting offshore drilling employment.
Are you looking for offshore oil rig jobs? Click here to learn how RigWorker.com can help you to quickly and easily find offshore drilling jobs.
Cover letters for offshore drilling employment must highlight your most important points and persuade HR to read your resume. The oil industry is of strategic importance to most industrialized nations, so there are often relevant courses offered by technical colleges. That’s fine – government rules don’t always make sense, and things only get more complicated when you mix in the unions and trade associations. Your cover letter must make them desire to read your resume, and finally, your resume must get them to shortlist you for an interview. What Is Your Most Relevant Job Experience?
How about more breadth? Let’s say you are looking for work in the motor room.
If you are looking for offshore drilling employment, you need HR to read both your cover letter as well as your resume. In addition, ex-servicement also receive subsidies to train for the oil industry.
This is one of the major criterion HR uses to decide whether or not to trash your job application. To do this, you need to show either more breadth in your experience, or more depth.. You have to put forward your most relevant prior job experiences and tie them to the job scope and qualifications listed in the job advertisement. When competition for an oil rig job is stiff, you need to immediately show that you are qualified for the vacancy. After all, it means you are saving them a lot of work.
You’ll note that some of these hurdles don’t make sense. Start Work Immediately
Another example would be rig welding jobs. Then you need make them interested enough to read your cover letter. First, you need to attract their attention. Just like you want a job now, they want a worker now! That means if you can start work immediately, you can sometimes trump a rival with better experience.
Training doesn’t come cheap, but it beats submitting a blank resume with no experience. There is no such thing. However, what can be definitely said is that the first half-page of your cover letter is the most important. Working of an offshore oil rig involves a lot of red tape. It must contain at least one of these three powerful elements.
By: Calvin Loh
This isn’t the only point. What Are Your Outstanding Points
So what kind of red tape do you need to wade through? That depends on where you are going to work and who you are going to work for, but here is a sample:
No company likes to wait for a job candidate to become available. In the US, the Department of Labor’s JobCorps program offers some form of subsidy for disadvantaged youths. Unless you are getting a job through the back door, your cover letter together with your resume can make or break your job application.
Now that you have persuaded the HR personnel that you are qualified for the job, you need to tell them what makes you special and why they should open your resume. What formats they like best largely depends on which university they got their degree from. The UK is no different. Some local state governments may also offer further subsidies. If you have 5 years of experience, you’ll clearly beat out quite a lot of your rivals for the vacancy.
I have had a number of addictions. Food and exercise addictions made me miserable for a time, but gambling swept me off my feet. I started with slot machines and after three months I was gambling away my rent money, and I was unable to stop. I went to see a psychiatrist, following my brother’s advice. When I came out of jail, I had justifiably lost custody of my twelve year old son, and all I owned were a couple of sets of clothes. For the first six months, I was under house arrest so, I was not allowed to work. I was also ordered to attend counselling which I did once per week. I never regained custody of my son, but I have seen him almost every week-end since my release from jail. Him and I have a wonderful relationship and I thank God everyday for letting him be in my life. The change in my life happened because once I was done destroying myself and everything around me, my son said he still loved me. I guess because my illness, I felt that I had to test him. Sometimes I think that If I was run over by a semi and my son walked in front of me, I would then pull myself together and walk.. And now, at the age of nineteen, my son says that what he admires about me is that I never give up. So I found out, prison, insanity and, or death is real. While in jail, I was sent for a psychiatric assesment where I was diagnosed with a borderline personality disorder, a form of neurosis. I spent three months in the Remand Centre, and I was given a two years conditional sentence, during its duration I had to stay with my family or go back to jail. The sentence was light probably because I didn’t have a gun or any other weapon of any sort. He gave me Paxil, and the only improvement was that I didn’t care how much money I lost. In ten years, I went to Gamblers Anonimous twice but, looking back I wasn’t ready to do what the program asked of me. I joined a pentecostal church, and I attended service every Sunday. I was also sent to Gambler’s Anonimous and I was allowed to attend 1 meeting per week. Amazing, in spite of the consequences, I still suffered serious gambling urges until I went through step 4 and 5 for the second time. Following the first year of my sentence, I was allowed to return to school, and I took an Office Assistance program. I actually finished the program and got a 1 year certificate. I recently celebrated my seven year birthday in G.A. At the end of the ten years, I had quit University, quit a job because I couldn’t handle cash, lost a few cars, started two abusive relationship because I was afraid of being alone, attempted suicide twice and failed. At the end, I was arrested and charged for 1 armed robbery and 1 attempted
Equity securities include common and preferred stock. stock40.31%International stock5.60%Fixed income0.60%Other0.00%
Top 5 Sectors
Top 10 Holdings
HOT Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc4.01%– 3.72%STR Questar Corp3.35%– 3.27%CHTR Charter Communications Inc3.21%– 3.07%CVT Cvent Inc3.01%CHTR Charter Communications Inc2.86%ITC ITC Holdings Corp2.81%– 2.79%
Investment Objective The investment seeks to achieve capital growth by engaging in merger arbitrage.
The fund will invest at least 80% of its net assets in equity securities of companies (both U.S. Get Money Magazine’s picks in all major categories.
Fund Management and Purchase InfoFund familyArbitrage FundFund manager & tenureJohn Orrico / 15 YearsMinimal initial investment$100,000.00Minimum IRA investment$100,000.00HoldingsCash53.49%U.S. and foreign) that are involved in publicly announced mergers, takeovers, tender offers, leveraged buyouts, spin-offs, liquidations and other corporate reorganizations. Merger arbitrage is a highly specialized investment approach designed to profit from the successful completion of mergers, takeovers, tender offers, leveraged buyouts, spin-offs, liquidations and other corporate reorganizations.
On college you will be able to find different lines at different sports books. He loses year after year, according to Dan Gordon, a top football handicapper and author of How to Beat the Sports Books (Cardoza Publishing 2005).
However, Konik adds that there are some bettors who actually know how to beat the bookies. Drinking and Gambling Don’t Mix – “There is a reason the casinos in Las Vegas supply you with free drinks while you are gambling,” Moseman says. “Teams play inspired ball at home. Not all games work according to this formula, but it is usually a good rule of thumb.”
10. Shop For Numbers – “Another important aspect of betting on football is shopping for the best number,” Moseman explains. Also, being “in action” can make a dull late-afternoon game (Buffalo vs. Chasing losses is the fastest way to the poor house.”
And where does all that money go?
Certainly not back into the pockets of the average bettor. Avoid Exotic Bets – “For very skilled handicappers, with a proven track record, there can, at least in theory, be value in betting parlays,” says Gordon on the type of bet that combines two or more individual wagers. Focus on Conferences – “The best way to win money betting football is to develop a niche and follow it closely,” Moseman advises. “For example, if you have a $1,000 bankroll for the season, you should generally bet no more than $50 a game.”
“There is probably no better bet in sports than playing an underdog at home,” Moseman says. “When you’re in a good rhythm and winning, you want to increase your bets. There are almost an infinite number of scenarios that can happen in a single football game. Consider Underdogs – “In the long-run, it’s easier to win betting on the underdog,” Konik says. Giving 11 to 10 odds is almost always the cheapest price you can give.”
Betting on football games; whether it’s through a local bookie, an offshore Internet site or a Nevada casino (still the only legal place in America to make football bets), most of us have done it or know of someone who has.
Although exact figures are impossible to calculate, according to Jimmy Vaccaro, widely considered to be Las Vegas’ most influential bookmaker, Americans probably wager more than $50 billion a year on NFL and college football combined.
6. “There will be more discrepancy in the numbers at different sports books. Slim underdogs regularly win outright. Big underdogs often find ways to cover the spread and they rarely give up toward the end of a game in front of the home crowd.”
2. Bet at the Right Time – “The sharp bettors tend to bet underdogs, and they tend to bet them early,” Moseman says. The NFL, for example, will have very similar numbers at most of the betting shops you visit. He is not taken in by being involved in USC-Notre Dame just because it is the biggest watched game of the day. Oakland comes to mind) seem like the Super Bowl. To be a successful sports bettor you need to operate with a clear mind.”
“A square or recreational player might have a vague plan, but after two Corona’s he will definitely run to the window and make a hasty decision on the USC-Notre Dame game because he wants to be involved in the party atmosphere,” Vaccaro says. In fact, sports bettors must pick 52.4 percent winners just to break even.”
Michael Konik, a sports writer and best-selling author of The Smart Money (Simon & Schuster 2006), explains why it is so hard for the recreational gambler to win at betting on football. If North Texas is his best bet on a Saturday then that is his bet. “If you listen to their advice, you are sure to lose.
4. And why not? We have unconditional love for the sport and betting $50 or $100 on a game adds an extra rush of adrenaline. The only touts bettors should consider are the ones who talk about the long haul and realistic winning percentages, which are in the upper 50 percent to lower 60 percent range.”
Newspapers and popular sports sites routinely publish the lines or point spreads for games, and football insiders offer their picks to viewers each week on ESPN and other cable networks. “Common wisdom says that over the course of a long football season the average man or woman will pick approximately 50 percent winners. Locks Don’t Exist – “Anyone who has watched sports for about a month realizes that the difference between winning and losing, especially against the spread, can be infinitesimally small,” Gordon says. They use powerful computers that can process millions of bits of data and produce a more accurate point-spread line than the bookmakers.”
Ted Sevransky, a well-known Las Vegas gambler and sports consultant with Sportsmemo.com, agrees.
But that doesn’t mean you have to bet like a “square” and throw away your hard-earned money.
Even Hollywood is not immune – think Two for the Money with Al Pacino and Matthew McConaughey.
Another difference between squares and sharps is how they approach betting on game day.
But even though the math says it’s virtually impossible to win on a consistent basis, Americans continue to bet on football. Research Football Services – “Most sports services realize that most people who sign up with them are insecure,” Gordon warns.
1. “He is not jaded by teams and does not bet with his heart. “In the NFL, a game will often be totally turned around by one or two plays, or even a single penalty. “In trying to bamboozle potential customers, many services make claims about having scouts all over the country that give them inside information and promise 70 or even 80 percent winners, as if the bookmakers were the biggest suckers in the world.
“A square is the average, unsophisticated gambler whose decision making is based on hunches, media manipulation, or spurious systems that cannot overcome the bookmaker’s inherent mathematical advantage,” Konik explains. “The sharps are usually members of a betting syndicate privy to the most up-to-date information on injuries, weather, game plans, and, most important, the real power of the teams involved.
“A sharp or smart has a plan of what he wants to do,” says Vaccaro, the director of sports operations and public relations at Lucky’s Race and Sports Book in Las Vegas. “Squares usually bet later in the week and they tend to pick the favorites.
“The standard bet requires gamblers to lay $11 for every $10 they want to win with the extra $1 or 10 percent known as the juice,” Konik says. Otherwise, you’re better off doing your own research.”
“The biggest mistake that amateur bettors make is they increase their bets when they are losing,” Sevransky says. But, when you’re struggling, that’s when you want to reduce your bet size until you get out of your slump. Thanks to the juice, the only one who profits in this scenario is the bookmaker. There is a wealth of information on the Internet; it is just up to you to find it and research it daily.”
“Most people with an understanding of football gambling bet between 3 percent and 5 percent of their bankroll, increasing when they win and reducing when they lose,” Vaccaro says. “Because alcohol clouds your judgment and usually helps you to make rash decisions you usually wouldn’t otherwise make. Money Management – “This is without a doubt the most important aspect of betting on sports and possibly the most neglected,” says Morey “Doc” Moseman, a professional gambler and sports consultant with DocSports.com for nearly 40 years.
3. “If you become an expert on a smaller conference like the WAC, you have a good chance to beat the house because sports book operators do not have the time or resources to follow this conference the way you can. These books change their numbers according to the betting patterns of their customers, so it is not entirely uncommon to find two or three point differences in the lines.”
“The bookies fear and despise a tiny coterie of professional bettors known as ‘the sharps,'” Konik says. “Most people prefer to bet on the ‘better’ team, the one that will probably win the game. “Thus, the bookies love and cherish the squares.”
“The talking heads on TV know nothing about sports betting,” says Sevransky. Avoid Chasing Bets – “Don’t do it! There is no worse way to mismanage your bankroll than to chase your bets after a losing day,” cautions Moseman on the dangerous practice of trying to immediately win back your losses. “The key to proper money management is to be sure not to bet more than you can afford to lose.”
And remember, in the immortal words of “Fast” Eddie Felson, “Money won is twice as sweet as money earned.”
So, is it possible for the average square to become a little sharper in making football bets this season? According to professionals like Vacarro, Konik and Gordon, amateur bettors have the best chance to win if they demonstrate a little patience and follow the 10 basic tips below. The payout is just the same as far as he is concerned. “Over the course of several seasons, the percentage of bettors who turn a profit is minuscule.”
7. If you are going to go with a favorite, it is best to place your bet early in the week when the sharps are laying heavy money on the points.
While these tips don’t guarantee you’re going to win, hopefully they can make you a little less square and a little more sharp in your picks this season. . If you want advice about sports betting, find someone who has a successful track record.
Also, it’s probably a good idea to disregard advice from the myriad of ex-players and football experts you see on television each week. If you like an underdog, it is best to get your bet in as late as possible, where there is heavy action from squares on favorites.
So, how much should you bet a game?
So, how much are we gambling each football season?
8. “As for me, the best bet in football is betting the point spread or over/under totals on individual games. So underdogs tend to be slightly undervalued – except by the sharps.”
“In an average season, fewer than one bettor in twelve turns a profit,” Gordon says. The only locks that exist are those that need keys to open them.”
Moseman agrees and especially likes home underdogs
Don’t stick around at a cold craps table. First, you’re dropping probably 20-50 bucks in the time you wait for the waitress to return. Don’t play if you’ve been drinking. But, dealers are trained to make you have fun and have a good time – and to make sure you keep spending money. Better yet, look up strategies on games like blackjack and roulette before going (You’ll find a great interactive one here for online blackjack).
3. Don’t ever believe the drinks are free. Gambling is like any other sport – best done when sober, possibly dangerous when not.
2. Don’t play without your player’s card. Read on for a list of the top ten things you should never do at an offline casino:
4. Call it superstition, call it whatever you like, but I’ve tried various craps strategies and the only sure fire thing I’ve seen happen every time I’ve played is that when the table goes “cold” (a term used to mean it starts losing a lot), it stays cold. Remember that almost all Casino’s have players cards which keep track of how much you gamble. House rules are the rules the casino has to play by (such as you should never split Kings in blackjack) and they’ve spent thousands of dollars deciding what gives them the best edge. Nothing brings a fanny pack back in style faster than sitting in front of a slot machine looking for somewhere to stick your purse.
5. They may offer you “friendly advice” – but before you take any of it, ask them what the “house” would do in the same situation. If you’re a woman, never carry a purse. By far, some of the biggest losses I’ve seen (and incurred myself) were after the player had downed a few drinks. contribute to gaining points, but even smaller gamblers can usually score a “free” lunch after a weekend of gambling (see #1).
1. But, I soon found the thrill. I’m by no means a gambling addict, but I have come to love the “sport” and I’ve learn a bit about playing in a Casino along the way. So, a house rule is usually a good one. 6. If a craps table has a hot run and a few sevens in a row come out afterwards, pick up your chips and find a new table or grab some lunch.
If you’re a regular at casinos or are planning your first trip, check out this list of the top six things you should never do at an offline casino.
. Granted, the casinos aren’t supposed to allow obviously intoxicated customers play – but your definition or drunk and they’re definition of “obviously intoxicated” may not be the same. Don’t listen to the dealer in most cases unless he precedes his statement with “house rules”. The first time I ever went to a casino, the whole thing seemed a little intimidating. Then add her tip, usually a dollar, or she won’t be returning to see if you need a refill any time soon.
I never thought gambling could be so fun. A variation of things such as money spent per hand, time spent gambling throughout a day, etc
But the 1990 team was able to go all the way and lead UNLV to its lone title.
. and Carlos Boozer. This particular Blue Devils team has left a lasting legacy as a pedigree and measuring stick for all Duke teams to come after.
5) Indiana 1987- this Hoosiers team led by coach Bob Knight posted a 30-4 record on the way to a national championship. With a 34-2 record, Duke who was coming off a championship the previous season, found their way back to the championship after a much harder fought and tougher road. the Wildcats run to the title was difficult and compelling as they made history along the way.
4) UNLV 1990- The Running Rebels led by coach Jerry Tarkanian, were a well powered offense with plenty of talent. Perhaps the most memorable moments of Duke’s season came against Maryland, in which they came from behind in two games. The team the following season may have actually been better going 27-0 through the regular season, but coming up just short in the final 4 against eventual champion Duke. Buckeyes in the championship. Led by guards Michael Dickerson Jr., Mike Bibby, and Miles Simon Jr. Syracuse would go on to defeat #1 seeds Oklahoma and Texas before beating the Jayhawks in the championship. Despite some close games including the title game in which Hoosier Keith Smart hit a jump shot with just a few seconds to play, Indiana was clear cut best team of that season and proved it. Led by star player Tyler Hansbrough and coach Roy Williams, UNC overpowered Oklahoma, Villanova, and Michigan St. Led by Mike Krzyzewski, more commonly known as Coach K, and star players Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley, and Grant Hill, the Blue Devils defeated Michigan in the title game. It was their quarterfinal match up with Kentucky that everyone seems to remember however, as Laettner caught an out of bounds pass from Grant Hill on the opposite side of the court, and hit a turnaround jumper as time expired. Led by star player Steve Alford, Indiana defeated UNLV in the final 4 and Syracuse in the title game. The Huskies would finish the year 34-2, a national champion, and the best Huskies’ men’s basketball team of all time.
8) Duke 2001- this version of the Blue Devils, also coached by Coach K, was supremely talented and dynamic on the court. Led by Shane Battier and Jayson Williams, Duke won with its excellent defense and three point shooting, and also got key contributions from Mike Dunleavy Jr. The title was a long time coming for Hansbrough who led the Tar Heels for four seasons, and a few heartbreaks along the way. With the help of a solid junior class of star guards Ty Lawson and Wayne Ellington, and forwards Deon Thompson and Danny Green, UNC was overwhelmingly stacked with talent, but they also played an excellent team that allowed them to post a record of 34-4 with their 4 losses coming by a total of just 16 points.
6) Arizona 1997- The Wildcats who were coached by Lute Olson, won the championship as a 4 seed, defeating three #1 seeds along the way. The first being a comeback from 10 points down with 54 seconds left to force and overtime where the Blue Devils would go on to win by 2. Connecticut served as the class of college basketball most of the season being ranked at the very top or near the very top, although they were huge underdogs against a Duke team that may have been the best team to not win the NCAA title. In addition to Carmelo Anthony, the team had Gerry McNamara and Hakim Warrick by his side giving them an offensive threat at several positions. Coming off a championship with mainly sophomores, the core of players decided to return for their junior years, posting a 26-5 regular season record and a perfect 9-0 postseason record. This team despite being very young with mainly freshman and sophomores, was able to keep their poise and determination which guided them to the ultimate victory.
1) Florida 2007- the 2nd of back to back championships for the Gators, who ran through a stacked talent pool of players and teams.
Donovan lifts Americans to late glory
Wimbledon match is longest ever
Taylor indicted on rape charges
Lawrence Taylor charged in rape case
Can Germany advance out of wide-open Group D?
Federer, Roddick, Clijsters, Henin win
Defoe lifts England into Round of 16
Check the World Cup bracket
Marlins fire manager Gonzalez
Loria’s expectations were too high
Before I get started, I made this list based on the most recent quarter century of champions. This would end up being Bob Knight’s last NCAA title and Indiana’s last appearance in the title game until 2002.
3) North Carolina 2009-this edition of the Tar Heels was a building process that started the season after their 2005 NCAA title. Perhaps most impressive was their 103-73 beating of the Duke Blue Devils in the title game, which was their third 30 point victory in the tournament. The reason this team ranks so high is because their ability to handle the pressure all season long of being the top dog in basketball. Team records, strength of opponents, and overall dominance and impact are what I base my rankings on.
7) UConn 1999- the Huskies of 1999, were coached by Jim Calhoun, and led by star players Richard Hamilton, Khalid El-Amin, and Jake Voskuhl. It was UConn who got the stops and made the plays down the stretch winning 77-74 in an excellent game pulling off the upset and being crowned champions. Coached by Bill Self, Kansas defeated the Cinderella story Davidson led by Stephen Curry in the elite 8, followed by a crushing of perennial favorite North Carolina, and an overtime classic victory over Memphis which included Mario Chalmers’ three pointer that forced overtime. in the final three rounds on their way to the championship. With a record of 37-3, and a consistent ranking at the top or near the top, the Jayhawks dominated the 2007-2008 season, winning their first title in 20 years.
9) Syracuse 2003- The Orangemen led by superstar freshman Carmelo Anthony and coached by Jim Boeheim defeated Kansas in the title game to give the Boeheim his first title. The Orangemen’s run to the title was impressive with a 30-5 record, big time victories throughout the season and postseason and a body of work that continued to get better and better as the tournament went along. The only question this team didn’t answer was whether they could have gone for three titles in a row had Brewer, Horford, Noah, and point guard Taurean Green not left college to play in the NBA.
2) Duke 1992- this edition of the Blue Devils may have been the best of all time. Finishing with a record of 35-4 and a national championship, this Duke squad could be considered to be one of the best teams ever. The Gators led by Corey Brewer, Al Horford, and Joakim Noah defeated UCLA in title game rematch in the Final 4 and the Ohio St. With a roster that included Larry Johnson, Stacy Augmon, Greg Anthony, and George Ackles, the Rebels were heavy favorites from the beginning of the season, and rolled through the competition, finishing 35-5. Arizona’s improbable run took off with a huge victory over the overall #1 seed Kansas, followed by victories over Providence, #1 seed North Carolina in the final 4, and #1 seed and defending champion Kentucky in the title game. UConn was able to fend of challenges from the likes of Gonzaga and Ohio St, before clashing with Duke in a much anticipated championship game between two championship teams. The 2nd comeback came in the final 4, after trailing by 22 points against Maryland the Blue Devils willed their way back into the game, turning the deficit into a lead and eventual victory, saving the game, their season, and their title hopes.
10) Kansas 2008- the 2008 Jayhawks squad, consisting of Mario Chalmers, Brandon Rush, Darrel Arthur, and Darnell Jackson put together one of the more impressive runs in recent memory. The Blue Devils ran through the ACC tournament defeating North Carolina in the finals, and the NCAA tournament as well going through Maryland in the Final 4 and Arizona in the title game
In fact, you can find reports of players being swindled on the Internet by the bogus gambling sites. A poorly maintained gambling site would be very inconvenient when it comes to managing your game credits or asking for game support. Moreover, the website should provide enough information about the company for you to be able to check their reputation properly. If an online casino has no reviews or have negative feedbacks about their services, better look for other choices rather than trying them out. Aside from the reliability and appearance of the online casinos, you should also check if they are operating legally. Good online casinos are backed up with security programs to provide their customers with the best services and confidence in investing their money. If you try to look for gambling sites on the Internet, you would definitely expect thousands of websites providing online casinos. First, you should consult several Internet casino reviews available on the World Wide Web. The accessibility of the Internet gave way to numerous possibilities to the industry of casino games. You should be aware that there are several fake reviews created on the Internet to deceive the players into starting an account on a fraudulent gambling site.
Online gambling is very popular nowadays especially to people who enjoy the convenience of betting online. In addition, the reviews that you should read should also be reliable. These reviews can greatly help you in filtering which of the gambling sites to avoid and which of them should be trusted. You definitely would not want to waste your time, money and effort to something that you are unsure of.. Whether the casino caters local or international clients, it is necessary that they have a license to perform the business. As compared to traditional casinos, these Internet casinos are more prone to fraudulent activities especially with the possibility of software errors and hacks. A certification can greatly increase the reputation of an Internet casino and at the same help customers in determining illegitimate gambling sites.
Once you have found a trustworthy online casino, the next feature that you should check is the quality of the service it provides. These online gambling sites are much more favorable not only to the players but also to the business handling the bets. A good design and a multi-language feature are excellent criteria for choosing quality Internet casinos.
You may want to consider the following tips for choosing online casinos that can provide you quality services and maximum entertainment. Therefore, you should be very meticulous in selecting the online casino to where you would invest your money. With the low overhead of establishing and maintaining an online casino, it is very easy for business owners to set up a gambling website.
Finding good online casinos is necessary for you to be able to protect your interests when gambling on the Internet. You would have no problems looking for another site for there are thousands out there that would provide user-friendly gambling systems and favorable odds