The long distance races of both courses start on the same track, but then they separate for the last mile of the july Course and the last one and a quarter miles of the Rowley Mile Course. The two finishing straights are separated by some open heath and by an ancient earthwork, the Devil’s Ditch.
The appointment of Mr. This site, the Knavesmire, was originally a marsh for the grazing of the comrnoners’ cattle and is said to have been the location of the City gallows until 1802. Jaques, was appointed.
Cesarewitch Stakes (two and a quarter miles), both established in 1839. The two classic races, the 2,000 Guineas, for three-year-old colts, was first run in 1809, and the 1,000 Guineas, for three-year-old fillies, was first run in 1814. R, M. There are now 12 meetings staged each year with 27 days racing. Towards the end of the season the two famous handicaps, which are referred to in racing circles as the Autumn Double, take place: The Irish Sweeps Cambridgeshire over one mile one furlong straight, and the S.K.F.. First run in 1877, it is over one and a quarter miles and attracts the best international horses over that distance year after year. The winning owner of this race is the guest of honour and principal speaker at the Gimcrack Dinner held in York later in the year.
Other important races run are the Yorkshire Oaks, the William Hill Sprint Championship and the Benson and Hedges Gold Cup of one mile two and a half furlongs, a race inaugurated in 1972 which has attracted horses of world class each year and has elevated the course to international standing.
Newmarket racing continued to prosper into the 19th century with the first running of the two classic races and it continued to be the leading training centre although there was a drift away because of the hard ground on the heath in 1833 — perhaps it was a long, dry summer like 1976 — and there was a movement to increase the training quarters on the Downs of Wiltshire and Berkshire.
Horse racing in the district dates back as far as 1530, but the first record of racing on the present site dates from 1731. The course is level, well-drained and with a most up-to-date watering system when required, It is a flat, galloping track with sweeping bends and a first class test for genuine horses over any distance.
The inauguration of the Gimcrack Stakes, now the C, G. Both races are over the straight Rowley Mile at the spring meeting. Newmarket has always been well to the fore in international racing and the Champion Stakes run at the end of the flat season is one of the most valuable races ofthe year. Gimcrack Stakes, followed in 1846. This is a six-furlong test for two-yearrolds, sometimes a trial for the classic races of the following year and won by Mill Reef in 1970. It has sometimes gone to a classic winner, and was won in 1971-72 by Brigadier Gerard.
On the Rowley Mile Course there are tirst-class grandstand buildings, accommodation and facilities comparable with the best, but on the July course the accommodation leaves much to be desired.
Racing was given another lift when the Prince of Wales registered his colours in 1875 and launched into ownership with considerable success towards the end of the century when, in 1896 his horse Persimmon, trained at Newmarket by Dick Marsh, won the Derby, again in 1900 when his horse, Diamond jubilee, took the Triple Crown, and yet again in 1909 — by then he was King Edward VII — he won the Derby with Minoru.
There are two courses, the Rowley Mile Course, which is used for all the most important race meetings with high value races, and the July Course for the less important meetings during mid-season. Jaques heralded a new era of prosperity and, while no classic race is run here, the year of 1843 saw the inauguration of one of the important handicaps of the racing calendar, the Ebor Handicap of one and threequarter miles (the name is derived from Eboracurn, the Roman name for York) now the Tote Ebor Handicap.
Used for flat racing only on 15 days each year with the principal meeting being in August and spread over three days. It was one of the leading courses from the start, but it did suffer a decline in the early part of the 19th century until, in 1843, a new clerk of the course, Mr